First, Ask the Question:
I am concerned about you…
I have noticed some changes that I am concerned about…
You don’t seem yourself, is everything alright?
- How long have you been feeling this way?
- How can I help?
- Have you considered getting help?
- What is keeping you from getting help?
What to do:
- Be genuine
- Be compassionate and empathetic
- Offer hope
- Get help – Offer to help them reach out and access supports and treatment
- If there is an increased risk, call for assistance
After the conversation:
Make sure to stay connected! After someone has disclosed their feelings, it is essential that you continue to let them know you care!
What NOT to do:
- Do not judge them or their situation at hand
- Do not argue
- Do not act shocked at their experience. At this time, they already feel alone and having any dramatic reaction may make them feel more alone.
- Do not make promises that you are not able to keep
- Do not offer to “fix” everything. Instead offer to work together.